Sunday, December 16, 2012

My auto-buy authors

Here comes the end of the year, and a good time to draw some conclusions... The easiest one is that I still love reading. And that's thanks to the authors. I'd like to tell you about a few of them... the ones whose books I buy ASAP (As Soon As Published).

With Christmas so close, and if you're looking for some books to gift (to yourself or an someone else), I'd suggest checking them out... 

Lois McMaster Bujold

Lois McMaster Bujold is a "traditionally published" author, known among others, for her "Vorkosigan Saga".  While Vorkosigan is mostly Science Fiction, I also love her Fantasy series, Challion and Sharing Knife.
Her Vorkosigan books can be bought as ebooks at Baenebooks.com, the others at  your usual e-bookseller.

Lindsay Buroker

Lindsay Buroker is a "self-published" author. I really love her "Emperor's Edge" series, and its cast, taking A-Team to the next step in banter and steam-powered (inter-)action. I usually buy her books from Smashwords.

Jacqueline Carey

An other "Traditionally-published" writer. I came to her books by "Kushiel's dart", and couldn't leave. Great world creation, great characters, great dramatica. You like it Epic ? You GET it. (And you can find her ebooks at your usual ebookseller.)

C.J.Cherryh

Politics ? trust issues ? genius and incertainty ? solitude and friendship ? love and salad (private joke) ? C.J is a master. THE Master. Also "Traditionally published", you can find some of her work at e-booksellers, but not all. And since she's started to update and sell directly (www.closed-circle.net), I'm not quite sure of the availability of the rest. But in the meantime, I buy what I find. 

Debora Geary

Ready for an easy read ? Ready for a new Lurving Family, for neighbours you'd love to have next door ?  Ready for tears, sad ones and happy ones ? Straight on the emotional edge, it's almost cheesy, but NOT. 
Debora Geary is a self-published author. I won't tell you where to buy her books. Nuff' said.

Andrea K. Höst

An other self-published author, Andrea K Höst won me over the first part of her "Touchstone" trilogy. I read all her books in the following month. Good world-building and writing, great heroines, Andrea K. Höst is the queen of the displaced and the "sudden change".On her blog she says she plans on increasing the price of her published ebooks.  Buy it when you can. You'll thank me for the advice.

Nathan Lowell

Whereas some of the previous authors in the list are great on special effects, Nathan is even better on subtle ones. No need of flashes and thunder, of laser shots and nuclear bombs, the story and cast don't need them. 
You'll have troubles finding most of his ebooks, since he's currently in the process of re-publishing them, but you can listen to them all at podiobooks.com.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm honored to be in this group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the Company and thanks for the comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh - this looks suspiciously like my autobuy list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for including me on your list! :) It's great to see that you've found so many independent authors to enjoy.

    Have you read the new Bujold story with Ivan? (Probably so, given the title of the post!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sorry for the delayed reply ;) )
      Yes, I've bought it's ARC version. You're not the only author I'm ready to pay more to read earlier ;)

      Delete